STUDY OF NEOREALISM



NEOREALISM

Being fairly new to the study of films, I had only ever classified films based on the standard popularized genres. I hadn't exposed myself to the ideas of the classics, therefor restricting me to understand the basis on which film has been developed. 

Recently, I was introduced to the Neo-realism movement, which was a national film movement to highlight the working class and poor by using real people, sets, etc. It reflected the ideas of post WWII, which captured the presence on what life was like post-war, which was far from lavish. An example film I watched that really reflects the essence on this movement, is a film made by Vittoria De Sica, The Bicycle Thief. This film is simply to the point, and to sum it up is rather the title, as it is about... 

A Bicycle Thief...

Obviously it is much more complex, but it is a very entertaining film that can be compared to the Neo-realism movement, as it encompasses the stance on which this movement captures. I suggest everyone take a closer look in this movement to see simple yet purposeful films, just like this one. 

 

//Soleil

Comments